Candidate Filing Dates
- Election Date: November 7, 2017
- Positions Up for Election: Mayor's Seat and City Council Seats 4, 5, and 6
City Candidate Filing Dates
- Opens: Monday, August 28, 2017 at 8:00 a.m.
- Closes: Friday, September 8, 2017 at 5:00 p.m.
- September 5, 2017 — Full list of candidates that have turned in the Declaration of Candidacy forms
- October 5, 2017 — Questions and answers from candidates
Candidates for mayor and council get their name on the ballot by filing a Declaration of Candidacy indicating the office for which they are running, the term of the office, and confirming that they are qualified to hold the office, meaning they are:
- October 10, 2017 — October 10 Pre-General
- October 31, 2017 — 7-Day Pre-General
- December 7, 2017 — 30-Day Post-General
- January 31, 2018 — Annual (2017)
- At least 18 years of age,
- A U.S. citizen,
- The candidate’s primary residence must be within the city,
- The address of the candidate’s voter registration must match the residence address provided on the candidate’s declaration, and
- The candidate must have resided in the city for at least 30 days prior to submitting their declaration.
- A Petition of Candidacy signed by at least five qualified city electors with an attached certification from the county clerk verifying the number of valid signatures, OR
- A nonrefundable filing fee of $40.