Pocatello Parks & Recreation Department
- Please be advised that Brooklyn's Playground will be closed for maintenance on Thursday, May 13, 2021. We regret any inconvenience this closure may cause.
The Parks and Recreation Department strives to serve the Pocatello community with quality recreation programs, well-maintained parks, trails, and beautiful open spaces. Our aim is to help provide opportunities, activities and the facilities to bring pleasure to people’s lives. Our parks serve as a source of great community pride, and we are firm believers in the benefits recreation brings to both the years in one’s life and the life in those years.
Play Often, Live Better!Often people don’t realize what a vital role Parks and Recreation plays in the quality of their lives. Our aim is to help the community make the connection between vital and happy lifestyles and parks and recreation.
Announcement: Spring and summer are NOT cancelled!
We have become accustomed to all sorts of cancellations this year, but I am happy to report summer fun, sunshine, and recreation are not cancelled. There is nothing like the appeal of warm weather and natural beauty to entice you outdoors. Have you heard about the improvements on the Portneuf River? Floating the river is a better option than ever thanks to added access points with parking, a new float map, and amenities along the way. No equipment? No problem. The Parks & Recreation Department Outdoor Recreation division offers rentals of river tubes, kayaks, paddleboards, life jackets, and other outdoor recreation items. (For more information visit rent.pocatello.us.) If you want to stay dry, there are miles and miles of trails within and just outside the city that are great for walking, mountain biking, hiking, or running. Exploring Pocatello’s beautiful surroundings while traversing the trails is an ideal activity for individuals or families. Whether you are on the water or dry land, I encourage you to get outside to Play Often and Live Better!
Brian C. Blad
Mayor of Pocatello
Message from the DirectorOn behalf of the Parks & Recreation Department Staff Team, welcome to the City of Pocatello’s Spring/Summer 2021 program brochure! After a challenging 2020 and looking forward to a much better 2021, we invite everyone to “Get Outdoors and Play” this Spring & Summer at our beautiful parks, open spaces & scenic Greenway Trails to enjoy the fresh air, green grass, and warm, sunny days with family & friends. How about these great ways to spend time & establish a healthy routine together?
- “Go on a Walk” – a City Creek/Mink Creek nature hike, at one of the City’s Greenway trails, or just a stroll through the park will have you smiling in no time.
- “Make a Splash” – at our Ross Park Aquatic Complex, or sign-up for some swim lessons at the Community Rec. Center.
- “Visit a Playground” – the City’s awesome Playgrounds have so much more to offer than just swing sets, explore the community for Playgrounds that bring all generations together.
- “Get Rolling” – got wheels? Visit our local Skate Park at Lower Ross, or try one of the City’s superb Greenway Trails, they’re paved & easy to get around on for bicyclists & skaters alike.
- “Plan a Day or Night Out for the Whole Family” – nothing says summertime like a picnic at the park with family & friends, or a relaxing day together at Zoo Idaho followed by a free Municipal Band Concert at the Ross Park Bandshell. Try checking out the City’s Old Town & Katie’s Dog Parks as well.
- “Get Your Game On” – sign up for a sports league, a Fun Run/Walk event or outdoor adventure, or enjoy a pick-up game at a local park with family & friends.
There really is something for everyone at Pocatello Parks & Recreation. Please invite your friends & loved ones to enjoy the great gifts of spending time together, and make this Spring & Summer one to remember, by Playing Often and Living Better!
Parks & Recreation Director
City of Pocatello