Pocatello Parks & Recreation Department
Play Often, Live Better!
The Parks and Recreation Department strives to serve the Pocatello community with quality recreation programs, well-maintained parks, trails, and beautiful open spaces. Our aim is to help provide opportunities, activities and the facilities to bring pleasure to people’s lives. Our parks serve as a source of great community pride, and we are firm believers in the benefits recreation brings to both the years in one’s life and the life in those years.
Often people don’t realize what a vital role Parks and Recreation plays in the quality of their lives. Our aim is to help the community make the connection between vital and happy lifestyles and parks and recreation.
Message from the Director
On behalf of the Parks & Recreation Department staff team, a warm welcome to the City of Pocatello’s Spring/Summer 2020 Program brochure. We invite everyone to “Get Out and Play” this spring & summer at our beautiful parks, open spaces, and scenic Greenway trails to enjoy the fresh air, green grass, and warm, sunny days with family and friends. What a great way to spend time and establish a healthy routine together! How about…
- “Going on a Walk” – A paved trail, City Creek/Mink Creek nature hike, or a stroll through the park will have you smiling in no time.
- “Making a Splash” at our Ross Park Aquatic Complex or signing up for some swim lessons at the Community Recreation Center.
- “Getting Rolling” – Got wheels? Visit our local skate park at Lower Ross Park, or try one of the City’s superb Greenway trails; they’re paved and easy to get around on.
- “Visiting a Playground” – The City’s awesome playgrounds have a lot more than swing sets. Explore the community for playgrounds that bring all generations together.
- “Getting Your Game On” – Sign up for a sports league, a Fun Run/Walk event, or outdoor adventure. Or, have a pickup game at a local park.
- “Planning a Day or Night Out for the Whole Family” – Nothing says summertime like a picnic at the park with family and friends, a relaxing day together at Zoo Idaho, or a free Municipal Band Concert at the Bandshell. Try checking out the city’s Old Town and Katie’s Dog Park as well.
In other exciting news, efforts continue on the Zoo Idaho entrance building and gift shop project, with the Zoological Society committed to purchasing a “log cabin” design structure in support of the City—stay tuned for future updates! Also, be sure to come by this spring and summer to experience our newly planted and establishing wetlands/trumpeter swan exhibit on the zoo’s upper level, as well as new and improved Bighorn Sheep & Bald Eagle exhibits, specially redesigned to bring an up-close-and-personal experience with our beautiful native animals. So many intriguing and transformative things are happening at Zoo Idaho. Come visit us and have a look.
There really is something for everyone at Pocatello Parks & Recreation. Please invite your friends and loved ones to enjoy the great gifts of spending time together, and make this Spring and Summer one to remember by Playing Often and Living Better!
Parks & Recreation Director
City of Pocatello