Pocatello Police Victim Services

Pocatello Police Victim Services


The Pocatello Police Department recognizes that victims and witnesses of crime have the right to be treated with dignity, respect, courtesy, and sensitivity. Victim Services offer you assistance by providing support, information, and referral services.

If you have been named as a victim in a Pocatello Police law incident report, your first action is to contact our Victim Witness Coordinator, Becky Rodriguez, at 208-234-6515. She is your personal contact regarding your case and works on your behalf with the City Prosecutor’s office as you move through the justice system and your own recovery.

Download the Victim Services Brochure (PDF) to discover services available to you. And consult our Community Resource Directory for a list of organizations that may assist you in your time of need.

Victim’s Rights

The law provides that crime victims shall have the right:

  • To be present at all criminal proceedings
  • To be given notice of criminal proceedings
  • To be heard, upon request, at criminal proceedings
  • To be given an opportunity to speak with the prosecuting attorney assigned to your case
  • To be allowed to refuse an interview request by anyone acting on behalf of the defendant, unless request is authorized by law (subpoena)
  • To be permitted to give Victim Impact Statement at Sentencing
  • To have any stolen or other personal property returned when no longer needed as evidence

Victim’s Compensation

You may be eligible for victim’s compensation. This fund can directly reimburse victims of crime for related medical and counseling expenses not covered by other resources. Please contact Victim Services at 208-234-6515 for further information.

Sexual Assault

If you have been raped or sexually assaulted:

  1. Call 911
  2. Call a rape crisis line at 208-251-HELP (4357). They can refer you to appropriate care and safety.
  3. Go to a hospital. It is important to receive treatment for possible exposure to sexually transmitted diseases. Crime evidence can also be collected there.
  4. Call or go to a friend’s or relative’s house where there is someone who can give you emotional support. If you feel you have no one for support please contact our caring victim services personnel (208-234-6515) who will provide you with information and support.
  5. Seek assistance from a counselor, hospital, rape crisis center or mental health center.

Domestic Violence and Abuse

Emergency medical help is available from your local doctor, hospital, or clinic. Call the Family Services Alliance Help Line at 208-251-HELP (4357) for nearby medical service providers and for information regarding shelters for your immediate safety.

You also have the right to sue for losses suffered as a result of the abuse, including medical and moving expenses, loss of earnings or support, and other out-of-pocket expenses for injuries sustained and damage to your property. This can be done without an attorney in small claims court if the total amount claimed is under $5,000.


No Contact Orders

A No Contact Order may allow the arrested person to return home, escorted by a law enforcement officer, to obtain personal items needed for hygiene and/or tools for work. The No Contact Order may also order the arrested person to stay away from you and your place of work. You should likewise not attempt to contact the arrested person.

The purpose of a No Contact Order is to provide you time to get the help you need to stop the cycle of violence by keeping the offender away from you. If you desire the No Contact Order to be modified or terminated you need to fill out a request and that request is than given to the Judge and a hearing will be schedule to hear your wishes. This paperwork is obtained through Bannock County Court Services located at 746 East Lander, Pocatello, Idaho.

Civil Protection Orders

Idaho passed a law in 1988 that can help you get protection from further abuse. This is the Domestic Violence Crime Prevention Act (Idaho Code 39-6302). The law protects spouses, former spouses, persons related by blood or marriage, persons who live or have lived together or persons who are or have had a dating relationship, whether or not they have lived together and persons who have had children in common, whether they have been married or have ever lived together. A protection order is a court order for a person to stop hurting you.

A protection order can:

  • Stop the person from hurting you and/or your children.
  • Stop the person who has been hurting you from entering your home, school, or where you work.
  • Require the person who hurt you to get counseling.
  • Require the abuser to leave the household.
  • Keep the children in your care.


A violation of any provision of a protection order is punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine up to $5,000. Once a judge has issued a protection order and the respondent (person you need protection from) is served with notice of the protection order, it is then against the law to violate any part of the protection order. Call emergency 911 or your law enforcement number and report the violation. Gather any information you can to assist the officer.

The majority of respondents take this protection order seriously, but some do violate this court order. It is important to notify the authorities and to keep yourself as safe as possible. Do not have false hopes that the protection order will be all you need to be safe, especially if violent violations occur. Also be aware pursuant to Federal Law under 18 U.S.C. § 922(g) anyone subject to a qualifying restraining order cannot possess a firearm or ammunition.