Pocatello Community Recreation Center Indoor Climbing Wall
The indoor climbing wall at the Community Recreation Center is open each year when weather is not conducive to outdoor climbing.
Open Climb Nights (Seasonal)
- OPEN SEASON: Winter
- CLOSED SEASON: Spring, Summer, and Fall
- DAYS: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday
- HOURS: 6:00 p.m.–8:30 p.m.
- Available on a first-come, first-served basis
- Wall capacity is at the discretion of staff, based on the skill level of participants
- Shoe rental is available for $3.00
- LIABILITY WAIVER/MEDICAL RELEASE FORM (PDF)
- Climbing wall staff will be in charge at all times.
- All climbing wall users must fill out a liability waiver/medical release form. (If under-18 climbers, must have legal guardian signatures.)
- Helmets are required for minors while on red mats.
- Belayers must be at least 14 years of age and pass a skills test.
- Proper commercial climbing equipment must be used.
- Youth climbers must stay below the 8-foot line while bouldering. Adult climbers must stay below the 12-foot line while bouldering.
- Do not swing on the ropes.
- No loose chalk.
- Climbers under 14 should not be left alone in rock wall.
Young People Policy
The wall is intended to help people learn to climb in a safe environment. It is also a great way to improve climbing skills and fitness during the off season.
Our number one priority is always safety.
The staff is in the wall nightly for 2 reasons:
- To monitor the room for safety (like a lifeguard at the pool).
- To teach beginners basic skills.
Children under 14 should be accompanied by an adult. People too young to belay (hold the ropes) need one-on-one help, and the staff is often occupied teaching or monitoring other groups. We are happy to teach everyone over 14 how to belay so your family can climb regardless of other groups.
Young folks are welcome to boulder or climb without ropes below the 8-foot line if no one is available to belay.
However, the climbing wall is not a daycare center, babysitter or playground. Please make sure your children have the proper guidance to make the time spent in the wall is safe and enjoyable for everyone.