Pocatello Community Recreation Center Indoor Climbing Wall
The indoor climbing wall at the Community Recreation Center is open each year when weather is not conducive to outdoor climbing.
Open Climb Nights (Seasonal)
- OPEN SEASON: March and April
- DAYS: Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday
- HOURS: 6:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
- Toddler Time for children ages 8 and below on Wednesdays from 5:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- The climbing wall WILL be open during Spring Break!
- Available on a first-come, first-served basis
- Wall capacity is at the discretion of staff, based on the skill level of participants
- Shoe rental is available for $3.00
- LIABILITY WAIVER/MEDICAL RELEASE FORM (PDF)
Check out the new wall!
We would love to host your youth group, scout group, team, or other group!
- GROUP SIZE: Minimum of 5; Maximum of 20
- GROUP RATE:
- $45 minimum fee (up to 10 participants) + $15 setup fee
- Additional participants are $5 each
- Example: A group size of 15 for two hours would cost:
minimum fee + setup fee + five additional participants
$45 + $15 + $25 = $85
- TIME: 2 hours maximum
- ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Groups are required to have at least two adults that will belay for the group. Belay experience not required, but recommended. Belaying can be taught on site.
- SCHEDULING: Reservations are required two weeks in advance. Call or email with a few dates and times that you are interested in. Reservations are dependent on staff availability.
- Please contact Outdoor Recreation with any questions or to schedule at 208-234-6237 or email@example.com.
- Climbing wall staff will be in charge at all times.
- All climbing wall users must fill out a liability waiver/medical release form. (If under-18 climbers, must have legal guardian signatures.)
- Helmets are required for minors while on red mats.
- Belayers must be at least 14 years of age and pass a skills test.
- Proper commercial climbing equipment must be used.
- Youth climbers must stay below the 8-foot line while bouldering. Adult climbers must stay below the 12-foot line while bouldering.
- Do not swing on the ropes.
- No loose chalk.
- Climbers under 14 should not be left alone in rock wall.
Young People Policy
The wall is intended to help people learn to climb in a safe environment. It is also a great way to improve climbing skills and fitness during the off season.
Our number one priority is always safety.
The staff is in the wall nightly for 2 reasons:
- To monitor the room for safety (like a lifeguard at the pool).
- To teach beginners basic skills.
Children under 14 should be accompanied by an adult. People too young to belay (hold the ropes) need one-on-one help, and the staff is often occupied teaching or monitoring other groups. We are happy to teach everyone over 14 how to belay so your family can climb regardless of other groups.
Young folks are welcome to boulder or climb without ropes below the 8-foot line if no one is available to belay.
However, the climbing wall is not a daycare center, babysitter or playground. Please make sure your children have the proper guidance to make the time spent in the wall is safe and enjoyable for everyone.