Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
One of the busiest days of the year is nearly here for the Pocatello Fire Department.
Firefighters are reminding citizens to keep their celebrations “Safe and Sane” during the days around the Fourth of July.
“We want everyone to have a safe and enjoyable Fourth of July,” said Kim Stouse, Community Relations/Education Specialist with the Pocatello Fire Department. “By following just a few simple guidelines, you can keep you, your loved ones, and possibly someone else from being injured or worse.”
To keep your festivities “Safe and Sane,” firefighters have the following tips:
- Buy only those fireworks that are legal for the City of Pocatello.
- Do not try to relight or handle malfunctioning fireworks – instead soak them with water and throw them away.
- Do not ignite fireworks in a container
- Do not give fireworks to small children and closely supervise older children.
- Light fireworks outdoors in a clear area away from houses and flammable materials and keep a bucket of water or a water supply nearby for emergencies.
- Light all fireworks with a long-handled lighter, jumbo punk or a flare.
- Allow adequate time for the fireworks to cool prior to disposing.
- Make sure all the fireworks are dead out and there is nothing smoldering in the area.
Firefighters would also like to add:
- Fireworks are banned in the Wildland-Urban Interface portions of Pocatello. To view a map that highlights the areas where fireworks are prohibited, visit bit.ly/PocatelloChubbuckWUI.
- Pets and fireworks do not mix. Many pets become stressed and fearful during this season, and will try to hide or run away from the noise and lights. Make sure your pet has somewhere safe and secure to hide.
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix.
U.S. hospital emergency rooms treated an estimated 12,900 people for fireworks related injuries in 2017 according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
For more information on firework safety, visit http://bit.ly/2X6yZ4f.